Resident Advisers

About Resident Advisers

The Office of Residential Life employs nearly 146 students as Resident Advisers (RAs) and Community Advisers (CAs). Visit Residential Life online to learn more about the role of RAs and CAs, required qualifications, and the application process.

RA Assignment Procedures

RA assignments are made by Residential Life. After assignments are made, RAs must log into the Housing Portal to complete their Academic Year Housing application and indicate the corresponding Category Declaration, including completing the Statement of Intent step and the Occupancy Agreement step.  

RA Rider

Resident Advisers are guaranteed housing for the academic year and in most buildings, are allowed to choose one other person to live with them. These residents are known as RA Riders. Only CC and SEAS students who are guaranteed housing are eligible to be RA Riders. Barnard students are not eligible to be RA Riders. All Riders must register for Room Selection, selecting ‘RA Rider’ as their Category Declaration. Their name will be withdrawn from Housing Lottery eligibility and they will not participate in Room Selection.